If you're looking for ways to spoil your 4-legged valentine this year, ditch the flowers and candy and show your dog you how much you love them with these simple but effective gestures!
1. Rub their ears. Petting a dog releases oxytocin in our bodies and our dogs, so this one is a win-win.
2. Lean on them! Ever notice how sometimes your pet will gently lean against your leg while you're sitting on the couch? Well that's the equivalent of a dog hug! Many dog's recoil when you go in for a "human hug" so gently leaning back tells them that you love them.
3. Give them a good snuggle. Dogs are pack animals and love to have their loved ones close by. Take some time today to cuddle with them on the couch, or invite them up on your bed as a special treat.
4. Use your puppy voice! Studies have shown that dogs understand us when we talk to them more than we thought, and while our friends may find our high pitched puppy voice a little odd, dogs love it.
5. Go for a stroll. For most dogs, there's nothing better than a nice long walk with their humans. Grab your Fi collar and bring them for an extra long walk around their favorite spot!
6. Be a good listener. One of the best ways to show you care is by listening. Take note of your dogs body language - are they wagging their tail and making eye contact? Then your pup is happy to see you and loves you back! Is their tail tucked between their legs and are they licking their lips and avoiding eye contact? Something may be causing them stress and anxiety. Show your love by acting accordingly.
7. Learn a new trick together. Training is one of the best ways to strengthen your bond with your dog. Not only are you spending quality time together, but you're learning and growing together too... and showering them with treats never hurts either!