One thing that's guaranteed to get your dog begging and drooling? Bacon, of course!
While you probably shouldn't enforce your dog to beg for table scraps at breakfast, that doesn't mean they can have a bite of the good stuff! Check out these bacon dog treat recipes that your dog with beg for over and over:
Bacon Dog Treats
2 slices bacon, diced
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 cup old fashioned oats
3 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes; set aside, reserving excess fat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, eggs and bacon fat on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add old fashioned oats and 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky. Add bacon, beating just until incorporated.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. (Baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the treats.)
- Let cool completely.
Bacon Cheddar Dog Treats
4 strips Bacon, cooked crispy
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 cup Milled Oatmeal
2 large Eggs
Additional Milled Oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine bacon, cheese, and oatmeal in mixing bowl. Allow mixer to break bacon and cheese up into little bits.
- Add eggs to the dry mixture to form a thick sticky dough.
- Dust surface of counter with additional milled oatmeal, to prevent sticking.
- Roll dough out to approximately 1/4 of an inch. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Bake treats on a parchment paper lined baking tray for approximately 20 minutes (slightly longer if treats are larger). Treats will be a pale-ish brown when they're ready.
- Allow to cool completely before feeding to your pet.
Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats
1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1 large egg or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup oats
2–3 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the peanut butter, milk, and egg together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the flour and baking powder. You may need to turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and use your hands to work in the flour. Mix in the oats and bacon. The dough is extremely thick and heavy.
- Using a floured rolling pin, cut into shapes using cookie cutters or a knife. Arrange on the baking sheets. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the oven, and flip the treats to bake the other side for 10-12 more minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving to your pup. Cover and store leftovers at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.