Even if your dog hates baths, there are other easy ways to give your dog's skin and fur a little extra TLC - treats! Ingredients like coconut oil and hemp seeds have proven to be the easiest (and most delicious) way to keep your dog fur shiny and their skin clear and healthy.
Check out some of our favorite recipes:
1 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
½ Cup Brewer's Yeast (powdered form)
- Melt coconut oil by microwaving it in a container with a pour spout. I just use a pyrex measuring cup. I usually microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds if there are still clumps. Continue to microwave until the oil is fully melted, but not overly hot and bubbling. “Cooking” the coconut oil will start to break down some of the nutrients.
- Stir in the brewers yeast until it is fully incorporated. You’ll have a thick but smooth brown sludge at this point. Make sure you don’t have any lumps.
- Carefully pour the mixture into your silicon mold until just full. Once all the molds are full, carefully transfer to the fridge or freezer to harden. NOTE: as the treats harden, they will separate slightly with the brewer’s yeast settling at the bottom and the coconut oil settling at the top. This is what creates the layered look.
- Once treats are completely hard (after about 2 hours in the freezer), remove them from the silicon mold. They will pop out nice and easy! Store in a jar in the fridge or freezer for up to 6 months!
Hemp Seed Dog Biscuits
1.5 cups of oat flour
½ cup of unsweetened applesauce
⅓ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup melted coconut oil
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Knead the mixture a few times.
- Form dough into a ball and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Coat your working space and rolling pin in oat flour.
- Roll out the biscuit dough, about a ¼ inch thick.
- Cut the dough into rectangles or use a cute dog bone cookie cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet, setting each biscuit a little apart from each other.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until hardened and cooked through.
Recipe by Karissa's Vegan Kitchen
Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Dog Treats
1 cup all-natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon unprocessed coconut oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
silicon paw print tray
- Be sure the coconut oil is in liquid form. If not, place coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until melted.
- Add peanut butter and cinnamon. Stir until mixture is completely smooth and thoroughly mixed. Mixture should be thick, but pourable.
- Pour mixture into tray and freeze until set.
- Carefully remove from tray and store in air-tight container in freezer (they soften quickly).