For dogs that require a grain-free diet, finding healthy treats that fit their nutritional needs at the pet store might not be so easy! Check out our favorite grain-free treats that you can make at home and your dog will love:
Grain-Free Pumpkin Coconut Dog Treats:
1 15-ounce can 100% Pure Pumpkin
1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Pure Coconut Oil, melted
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 2/3 cups coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, peanut butter, coconut oil, and eggs until smooth.
- Add in the turmeric, cinnamon, and coconut flour. Mix until well combined. Let rest for about 5-10 minutes to thicken. Coconut flour NEEDS this time to absorb the moisture. If your dough is too moist, let it sit longer.
- Layout a piece of parchment paper and place the dough on top. Then place another piece of parchment on top of that. Roll the dough between the parchment sandwich until the dough is about 1/4” thick.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper, and then cut using cooking cutters. Remove the dough scraps (but leave the cutouts behind), and transfer the parchment sheet with the cutouts directly to a large baking sheet.
- Combine the scraps, place between two sheets of new parchment, and roll, cut, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the cookies are dry and hard. Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
For an optional glaze, mix together 1/4 cup peanut butter with 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil. Place in a ziptop bag, snip off the corner, and drizzle on. The glaze will harden in the fridge, but might be a bit soft at room temperature. Keep the biscuits unglazed if planning on packaging.
Grain-Free Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treats:
1 ½ cup coconut flour
½ cup organic peanut butter
½ cup coconut oil melted then slightly cooled
1 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll dough out gently onto a cutting board dusted lightly with additional coconut flour, or onto a rolpat. Roll out to about ¼ - ½ inch thick.
- Cut out shapes using your preferred cookie cutters.
- Transfer gently to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Treats should have a slightly golden color around the edges.
- Cool on cookie sheets before serving.
- May be stored in airtight containers for up to three weeks.
Grain-Free Salmon Pumpkin Dog Treats:
1 ½ cup coconut flour
1 cup canned wild caught salmon, drained
½ cup coconut oil, melted, but not hot
½ cup pumpkin puree (you can also use pureed sweet potato or squash)
2 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to your food processor. Process until well blended and it easily forms a ball, when you take a little in your hand. If it feels a bit too wet, add just a little more coconut flour, but know that the coconut flour in the dough will absorb as the dough sits.
- Gently flatten the ball into a disc and place into an airtight container or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the dough disc between two pieces of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until it is about ⅛ to ¼-inch thick.
- Using desired cookie cutter shape(s), start cutting and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Don’t waste any of the dough, use the leftover scraps, roll what’s left into a rope, cut into little nuggets and bake. They make great little tiny bite-sized training treats.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and hard. It is important that biscuits are completely dried out or they will go bad.
- If you take them out and as they cool, if they feel moist at all, I recommend placing the biscuits in a single layer on an oven-safe cooling rack, and place into a 200ºF oven for 10-20 minutes, until they are dry, hard, crisp and have no moisture at all.
- Let cook completely and store in an airtight container for a few weeks.
Grain-Free Carrot and Spinach Dog Treats:
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup nut butter (no add salt, sugar, or additives)
3 cups almond four
1-2 Carrots peeled and shredded
1 cup baby spinach chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an electric mixer, beat together pumpkin puree, nut butter, and eggs until well combined.
- Add in flour gradually, approximately a half cup at a time. Mix until incorporated.
- Add in spinach and carrots. Mix until incorporated.
- Knead dough into a ball. Either roll the dough out and use cookie cutters to create shapes, or use your hands to shape into small heart or flat, circular dog biscuits. (If rolling dough out to use cookie cutters, chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour to make the dough stiffer/easier to roll out & cut. Dip cookie cutter in almond flour to prevent sticking. You can also use a knife to cut rolled dough into squares).
- Place treats on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes or until treats turn golden brown on the edges.