The weekend is a perfect time to try making some of these homemade treats for your best bud. Check out these recipes that lean on the more savory side. Some of them even look like they could be tasty enough for you and me. They should all be easy enough that even your kids or the most novice of cooks can whip these up.
Cheddar Dog Treats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cheese. Stir in butter until combined. Gradually add milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Roll dough into a 12x9-in. rectangle; cut into 3x1-in. strips. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand in the oven with the door slightly open until cooled completely. Store in an airtight container.
Easy Bake Five Ingredient Savory Dog Treats
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 2 pieces bacon, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups oat flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg and chicken broth.
- Add finely shredded carrots and bacon bits (optional). Mix well.
- Add flour and mix into dough.
- Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shape and place on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 min at 350F.
- Let cool before feeding to your dog. Then enjoy!
4-Ingredient Chicken and Biscuits Homemade Dog Treats
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 (5.3-ounce) container nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, stirring until thoroughly incorporated. Batter will be very thick and sticky.
- Drop batter by level tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets. (Because these dog biscuits spread very little during baking, I crowd them together more than typical cookies, and get all of them onto 2 baking sheets.) Using the back of a spoon, flatten the dog treats slightly.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire racks. Store in refrigerator or (for longer storage) in zippered freezer bags in freezer (thaw before serving).