Sweet and safe for dogs, apples are pretty much like candy for canines! Check out three of our favorite apple dog treat recipes:
Pumpkin Apple Dog Treats
2 1/4 cup flour
1 medium apple, finely diced
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour and baking powder, add in diced apple, pumpkin puree, egg, and water. Stir until it forms a slightly wet dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper (lightly floured if necessary). Use a cookie cutter to cut dog bone shapes. Transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely before serving to your fur baby. Store remaining bones in an air-tight container for up to one week.
Apple Cheddar Dog Biscuits
2 cups barley flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1/3 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients and about 3 tablespoons water to form a dough. Roll out mixture between two sheets of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thick; remove plastic wrap and cut out biscuits with a 3 1/2-inch bone-shaped cookie cutter. Reroll scraps and continue cutting out biscuits.
- Space biscuits 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes until nicely browned and firm.
- Transfer biscuits to a wire rack. Turn off oven and place biscuits on wire rack in oven overnight. Remove from oven and store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.
Apple Chips for Dogs
2 large Apples
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using an apple corer, core apples.
- Using a knife or mandolin slice cored apples into half centimeter slices.
- Place apple slices on parchment lined baking rack and bake for approximately 2 hours until dried and crisp.
- Remove from oven and let cool. These chips should store for up to a week in an airtight container.