Packed with potassium and vitamin C, bananas should be a staple in every dog's diet! They're rich in magnesium, which may help your dog absorb vitamins more efficiently and promote healthy bone growth too.
So how can you add more bananas to your dog's daily regimen? You could toss them a piece as you add it to your cereal, or you can make one of these easy treat recipes:
3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
1 1/2 cups gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 large ripe banana (or 2 medium bananas), smashed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Blitz the old-Fashioned rolled oats in a blender until you have a fine flour, or, alternatively, use oat flour instead. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, smash the peanut butter and ripe banana. And the oat flour and smash with a fork until the dough is thick and well combined. If it’s crumbly, add 2-4 Tablespoons more peanut butter and recombine. You want the dough to be firm, sticky, and pliable
- Roll dough into a thin slab, about ~1/4 inch thick, and cut into shapes with a cookie cookie. Alternatively, you can roll them into ~1 Tablespoon balls and flatten with your hands for a simple circular cookie.
- Bake for ~15 minutes until lightly brown underneath. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before sampling or sharing with your pup!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!
Crunchy Blueberry Dog Treats
16 ounces plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoons natural unsweetened almond butter (or peanut butter)
1 medium banana, sliced
- Place silicone molds on a baking sheet (this helps transfer them easily to the freezer without spilling.) Set aside.
- Put all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor; blend until combined and creamy.
- Transfer to a measuring cup with a spout, for easy pouring.
- Fill each slot to the top with the mixture.
- Place in the freezer for about 3 hours or until solid.
- Gently release the frozen treats out of the molds and watch your doggie gobble them up!
Banana and Honey Dog Treats
2 cups water
2 bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Combine water, mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl.
- Stir in whole-wheat flour and baking powder.
- Beat dough with an electric mixer on medium speed until ingredients are thoroughly combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until no longer sticky, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into mini shapes with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Place dough shapes on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until cookies are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave cookies until thoroughly dry and crisp, 30 to 40 more minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven and allow cookies to cool on pans for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to fully cool.