Can dogs eat gummy worms? The short answer is no; dogs should not eat gummy worms.
Gummy worms contain too much sugar and fats. Eating too many gummy worms can result in stomach upset, obesity, diabetes, and several health issues in dogs. Some of them also contain different artificial ingredients like xylitol which can be fatal to your dog if ingested in high quantities.
This article will discuss the risks of consuming gummy worms, what to do if your dog has eaten some of them, and tips on creating an alternative treatment without the harmful side effects.
What are the Risks of Gummy Worms for Dogs?
If your dog eats one or two gummy worms, it may not cause severe damage. However, dogs that eat a high quantity, small breed dogs, or puppies may show signs of gastroenteritis.
Remember to always consult your veterinarian if you have any concerns about your dog's health. Below are some of the risks of gummy worms for dogs.
Dogs that eat gummy worms in large quantities, especially smaller breeds and puppies, will have an upset stomach. The symptoms of gastroenteritis include a loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
These symptoms are typically temporary, but we still recommend that you consult your vet - especially if your dog is small or a puppy. The reason is that smaller dogs can get easily dehydrated and hyperglycemic.
Potential Intestinal Obstruction
Your pup may develop a blockage in his intestine if he chewed up the plastic packaging and swallowed it along with the gummy worms.
Vomiting (often multiple times), trouble passing feces, and loss of appetite are all signs of intestinal obstruction. They may also suffer from diarrhea as well as difficulty keeping down food and water.
You should contact your vet immediately if you notice signs of a blockage, as this is an emergency that requires immediate attention.
Low Blood Sugar and Liver Damage
One of the reasons you need to prevent your dog from eating gummy worms or other candies is the presence of xylitol - which is safe for humans but toxic to dogs. A small amount of this substance can be poisonous and even lethal to a dog, especially a small dog.
Toxic doses of xylitol can dramatically drop blood glucose (blood sugar) levels, known as hypoglycemia.
Hypoglycemia manifests as weakness, vomiting, and tremors, then seizures, and eventually death. Ingesting xylitol can trigger hypoglycemia in a dog within 30-60 minutes of consuming it, and these symptoms can last for over 12 hours and be deadly without treatment.
Hepatic necrosis is also a severe and sudden condition that can lead to acute liver failure when a dog consumes xylitol. Signs of liver damage can manifest up to 24 hours after exposure.
Additionally, spontaneous internal bleeding can occur when the liver fails to produce the essential clotting factors for blood clotting (coagulopathy). The prognosis for dogs with hepatic necrosis is much more cautious, and they require extensive medical treatment.
Getting your dog to a vet as soon as possible is crucial when it comes to xylitol toxicity.
Marijuana or THC Toxicity
The signs of marijuana toxicity in dogs can include sedation, lethargy, dilated pupils, wobbling, vomiting, and dilated pupils. Seizures, tremors, agitation, vocalization, and dribbling urine may also manifest in more severe cases.
The signs of marijuana toxicity can appear within 5 minutes to 12 hours.
If you are concerned your pet has been exposed to marijuana, you should contact your veterinarian right away as he will likely need medical treatment.
If My Dog Eats Gummy Worms, What Should I Do?
Be sure to do a few things before you go to the vet. Your dog may need to drink water and flush out the toxins. That way, your dog will be less likely to become dehydrated and will feel better.
There's no need to worry if your dog ate a xylitol-free gummy worm. To avoid future issues, make sure you keep gummy worms away from your pup.
Call your vet or the Pet Poison Hotline right away if you think your dog has eaten gummies containing xylitol.
You must not force your dog to vomit or give him any medicine unless your veterinarian directs you to. Getting the proper treatment for your pet as soon as possible is crucial.
If a dog is hypoglycemic, vomiting may worsen his condition.
Can Dogs Eat Sour Gummy Worms?
No, dogs cannot eat sour gummy worms. The ingredients and the sugars in them are way too high for your pet, so they aren't healthy.
Can Dogs Eat Trolli Gummy Worms?
No, your dog cannot eat trolli gummy worms either. The ingredients in these treats are sugar and starch, so eating them could lead to your dog developing diabetes and obesity.
Alternatives Dog-friendly Gummy Treat for Your Dog
It is possible to give your pup a more dog-friendly version of gummy worms if he still enjoys the texture, but you are worried about his health.
You can use ½ cup of dog-safe bone broth as a base ingredient.
Some other ingredients include:
- Half of a beet,
- an envelope of unflavored gelatin,
- and some parsley.
You will have enough ingredients for about a hundred gummy worms.
Here are the steps to make it:
- Mix beets and parsley with a teaspoon or two of water.
- Divide the liquid and solid parts of the puree.
- Combine veggie juice with gelatine and let sit for five minutes.
- Cook the broth in a pot and stir in the gelatine until it dissolves completely.
- Fill the worm molds with the mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator for a few hours or until it is firm.
So there you have it, some delicious, healthy, and safe dog treats that you can store up to ten days in the fridge.
Gummy worms are not suitable for dogs. They contain toxic ingredients like xylitol that can lead to problems for your pet.
If you want to give your dog something healthy, treat him with some dog-friendly treats that will help him keep his weight down and prevent any issues.
Remember to make your dog work for his treats. Pets need mental stimulation to keep them entertained and prevent boredom from setting in. Teach your dog a trick or incorporate a bit of training with it.