Nothing says celebration quite like a cake. We provided two recipes that we know your pup will surely love.
The top recipe contains grain and the second one is for the grain free pups.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter Do NOT use a peanut butter with Xylitol as it's dangerous to dogs. Check ingredients!
- 1/2 cup applesauce go with plain, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree make sure you use pure pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie mix
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix together vegetable oil, peanut butter, applesauce and pumpkin puree. Once combined, mix in egg and mix until combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into an 8" round pan (a square pan can also be used) that has been greased with oil.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack prior to removing from pan.
- After cooling, add frosting if desired.
- Mix Greek yogurt and peanut butter until well combined. Spread over cake. If not serving immediately, store in refrigerator.
*Makes one 8" round cake. Recipe can be doubled to make a layer cake, as shown in the photos.
Ingredients used have been determined safe by the author for her dogs. If you have any question as to the safety of ingredients for YOUR dog, please check with your veterinarian.
Recipe from Love from the Oven
If your pup suffers from allergies and you keep them grain free, we have a recipe just for you. Just follow the simple instructions below.
- 2 cups chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup natural creamy peanut butter, stir to incorporate any oil on top
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup shredded apples (about 1 large apple, peeled)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heavily grease the insides of two 16-ounce oven-safe ramekins with melted coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, eggs, and water.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients bowl and stir until everything is incorporated. Gently fold in the shredded apples.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared ramekin dishes.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet then bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- In the meantime, stir together the ingredients for the frosting in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once done baking, let cakes cool completely then using a sharp knife, run it around the edges of the cake then invert.
- Slice cakes in half horizontally. Alternate frosting layers then gently frost the outside of the cake.