Looking for a unique and nutritious snack to feed your favorite pup? Are mussels safe or toxic for dogs to eat? And what about other seafood?

bowl of mussels

Are Mussels Toxic to Dogs?

If your dog snagged one of your mussels off your plate… no worries! Mussels are not toxic to dogs. In fact, mussels are actually quite healthy for dogs to eat. In the same way that these shellfish give health benefits to humans, they are also beneficial to dogs.

What Happens if a Dog Eats Mussels?

Mussels themselves are actually quite healthy for pups because of the Omega-3s and other fatty acids. But there are a couple of concerns we have about your dog snatching some mussels while you’re not looking.

First of all, the seasonings you might use. If you’ve cooked the mussels with things like garlic or onion—these seasonings can do a lot of harm to a dog, and should not be intentionally shared with your furry friend. If you want to feed mussels to your dog, just cook a couple separately without any seasoning or sauces.

Also, the shell. If your dog swiped a mussel off of your plate, you wouldn’t want them to try to eat or swallow the shell. This is definitely a choking hazard. And if your dog does get a hold of the shell, and swallows part or whole, make sure to call an emergency vet right away.  

mussels

How Many Mussels Can a Dog Eat?

As with all snacks… everything in moderation! Mussels have lots of health benefits for dogs. But even healthy snacks should only make up 10% of your dog’s diet, while the other 90% is their regular, nutritionally-balanced dog food.

If you’re not sure how much that would be, remember—less is more. Depending on their size, just give your dog one or two mussels. And it’s always helpful to consult with your veterinarian.

Why are Mussels Good for Dogs?

Mussels not only contain large amounts of Omega-3s and other fatty acids, but they are low in calories. And keeping your pup’s weight under control is always important.

Mussels also contain vitamins and minerals like potassium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, selenium, and calcium. And on top of all that, mussels are even a great source of protein. And they are known to help with reducing inflammation and joint pain.

How to Feed Mussels to Your Dog

There are a few different ways that you can safely feed mussels to your dog. And your sweet pup will love every option! Dogs love mussels because of the fatty taste. But just remember to keep the snack portions small, and always remove the shell. Here are a few different ways you can try serving your pup mussels as a special treat.

1. Cooked or steamed

You can cook up the mussels on the stove, or steam them. Always remove the shells, and remember to not add any sauces, seasonings, butter, or oils.

2. Powder

You can use a mussel powder and sprinkle it over your dog’s regular food, or even mix it in with other treats.

3. Freeze-dried treats

Some dog treats actually use freeze-dried mussels. Your dog will love the taste, and you’ll love the health benefits.

Can Dogs Eat Scallops?

Although some dogs could suffer from shellfish allergies, like we do, most dogs will be completely fine! And seafood like scallops are also incredibly healthy snacks for dogs with tons of health benefits. But be sure to avoid adding any sauces, seasonings, butter, or oil. We want your pup to just eat healthy, whole foods without added ingredients that are toxic, or even just unhealthy.

Can Dogs Eat Shrimp?

Shrimp is yet another great choice to feed your dog as a healthy and special treat. Shrimp contains nutrients like vitamin B12, niacin, phosphorus, and antioxidants. When feeding shrimp to your pup, make sure it is cooked, not raw. “Raw, uncooked shellfish contain harmful pathogens,” so make sure your dog’s shrimp is always cooked through. And remember, no extra seasonings or sauces on this shellfish either.

Dogs Love Shellfish

If you’re bored of giving your dog the “same old, same old” for treats and snacks, give these shellfish a try. They are packed with nutrients, and dogs love the taste! It’s a win, win for everyone. And you can treat yourself to some delicious shellfish too.

For more helpful articles about pet-parenting tips, check out the Off Leash blog at TryFi.com.

Want to know more about TryFi.com? The Fi Dog Collar is a GPS tracking collar that not only keeps track of your dog’s location, activity levels, and sleep patterns, but it also alerts you if your dog escapes your backyard. This is the fastest way to find your dog after an escape. Try the Fi Dog Collar today!